-April 7, 1884 the office clerk Otto Waldemar Rodén submits an application for a business permit to the office of registry in Kokkola in order to receive permission to “idka borgerlig näring, omfattande ångbåts expeditions agentur, kommissions och speditions affärer, även som handel med låfgivna handelswaror”. The letter of acceptance from the office is dated the same day. With this, the history of the company that through different forms will develop into the Oy M. Rauanheimo Ab of today begins.
-The Port of Yxpila is heavily trafficked by both foreign and domestic vessel at the turn of the century. Statistics show about 250 vessel calls annually. The record year of 1905 notes 327 calls. The traffic surpasses other Ostrobothnian ports both in imports and exports. The success is due to good port conditions and the natural deep port. When the straight fairways are equipped with lighthouse beacons in the 1880:s pilots can guide vessels in darkness also.
-1914 – 17
The growing traffic does not only demand sufficiently deep water for the increasingly bigger vessels. Bigger berths are also needed. During World War I parts of the large transitotraffic is directed through Yxpila. Large quantities of goods from Narvik to Russia are shipped via the Port of Yxpila. However, the Port lacks capacity to handle traffic of this scope. Warehouses and packing facilities are overflowing with goods and large quantities are stored under tarps out in the open. Occasionally there is no choice but to store goods uncovered. There is chaos in the port, and thefts occur daily. Gangs of thieves from the capitol area operate in the port, and are in lengthy trials sentenced to fines and incarceration.
There is a lack of tonnage following World War I. But already at the beginning of the decade the ship traffic at Yxpila is increasing rapidly. The demand for round timber is great, cut timber and planks are exported in substantial amounts. The port is alive with activity, and sail vessels are still spotted among the steam vessels that are now dominating the scene. When 20-30 ships call on the port simultaneously not all can be berthed at the same time. Props are loaded onto vessels out on the roads, and space is sometimes sparse.
February 1 1929 prominent business men in timber
handling found the joint company Ab Yxpila
Stevedoring Co. Ltd for forwarding and stowing of
round and cut timber. The company grows rapidly and dominates the handling of timber in Yxpila up until World War II. Astley W. Rodén owns roughly 30% of the shares in the company. The previously open companies founded by Adolf Lahti and David Eklöf are converted into limited companies in 1932 under the name Adolf Lahti & Co Yxpila Ltd D. Eklöf Oy, with David Eklöf as chairman of the board and CEO.
-1941 – 44
During the Continuation War Yxpila is an important port for unloading supplies. This time it’s German vessels that are transporting supplies to their troops in Finland, and large amounts of goods are stored in Yxpila. The discharging and forwarding is handled solely by Ab Otto Rodén Oy and YSC.
During the years 1941 – 43 the business is highly profitable.
The end of the war also brings new competition to Yxpila. Oy Liinahamari Stevedoring Co Ab and M. Rauanheimo Oy, owned by the Nordström concern in Lovisa have previously been active in Petsamo but are now starting stevedoring and forwarding activities in Yxpila.
-During the 1970:s substantial changes are made regarding employment issues in the business. This is part of the reasons why the owners of the competing firm Adolf Lahti & Co withdraw from the game. In 1972 the Rauanheimo group takes over the company.
-In 1975 the fairways is dredged to a depth of 9,5 meters.
-During the spring of 1983 a change of ownership occurs, as the Nordström concern decides to concentrate their operations to their home town of Lovisa, and sells the Rauanheimo group in Yxpila to Oy Auto-Haro Ab. The company group has a regular staff of 115 people and a turnover of 19 million marks. Auto-Haro becomes the third owner group assuming responsibility for the development of stevedoring and forwarding in Yxpila.
The Port of Kokkola presents a new record this year. Goods traffic exceeds 2 million tons. With this, the Port of Kokkola is one of the ten biggest ports of Finland
-In the fall of 1987 the dredging is completed and the depth of the fairway is increased from 9,5 to 11 meters.
-February 26, 1988, Oy M. Rauanheimo Ab which is owned by Oy Auto-Haro Ab is transferred to the ownership of Botnia Shipping, which is in turn owned by Ab RS Finance. The acquisition means that the same company is now running the operations in the ports of Kokkola and Pietarsaari. The 85 employees of Rauanheimo are transferred to the new owner. The company has a turnover of 16 million marks.
-In 1993 Yxpila becomes the first harbor in Finland from which timber is shipped to Japan. The first trial shipment of 40 000 tons of iron ore pellets arrives. Russian authorities are prepared to export 2,5 million tons under the years to come.
The quay in the deep port is extended by 220 meters, which means a doubling of the length of the quay. The warehousing area of a couple of hectares is paved and beams for spotlights are erected.
-Dredge work is finished and this time the depth of the fairway is increased from 11 to 13 meters.
-In 2001 Oy M. Rauanheimo is purchased by the KWH Group Ltd.
31, 2005, the All-Weather Terminal is opened and the Port of Kokkola is the
first port in the Nordic countries to have a covered terminal at their